FAKTR (pronounced “factor”) is an acronym that stands for Functional and Kinetic Treatment with Rehab and is a revolutionary way to treat soft tissue problems. It is the progression of instrument assisted soft tissue treatment with functional movement or exercise. FAKTR works in three major methods:
- Neurologically: By stimulating certain pathways in the nervous system we are able to normalize the tone of over active or under active muscles. Through sensory, motor and proprioceptive stimulation, the doctors at Active Care Chiropractic are able to bombard the central nervous system with a tremendous amount of afferent (from the periphery to the central nervous system) input. This bombardment is like hitting control alt delete on your computer effectively rebooting your nervous system and restoring proper tone to the tissue.
- Structurally: Through specific local treatments, the doctors at Active Care Chiropractic are able to influence the healing process on injured and degenerating tissues. Through these specific types of treatment, it is possible to increase the proliferation of the cells of healing and remodel injured tissue into a healthy state. This would be similar to re-attaching fibers of a rope freighting from the inside out.
- Vascular/Microcirculatory: My changing the type of treatment intensity, it is possible to turn soft tissue treatments into an anti-inflammatory treatment. Through light very gentile treatments, the doctors at Active Care Chiropractic are able to effect superficial blood flow to a region assisting in the reduction of swelling, bruising, bursitis, post-surgical pain, and areas of heightened sensitivity.
FAKTR combines soft tissue treatments with resistance training, functional activities, and proprioceptive (balance and coordination) exercises to produce faster results than conventional treatment methods. FAKTR is designed to reduce pain and restore function. Most patients notice improvements in their pain, ROM, or ability to perform sports on their first treatment.
FAKTR, formerly called FAKTR-PM, was developed by Gregory H Doerr, DC and Thomas E Hyde, DC in 2002 and is currently taught throughout the United States, Canada, Latin America, South America, Australia and Europe.
Who can Benefit from FAKTR?
FAKTR is a preferred treatment for both the highly active and sedentary individuals. FAKTR is a great way to treat athletes quickly, however, the concept can be applied to all ages and all body types. FAKTR is excellent for those involved in auto accidents, repetitive motion activities, work related injuries, post surgical work including joint replacement, injuries suffered every day at home and conditions of daily living.
Conditions that Positively respond to FAKTR:
Pain Between the Shoulder Blades
Lower Back Pain
Plantar Fasciitis (Foot and Arch Pain)
Shoulder Pain (Rotator Cuff Pain)
Elbow Pain (Tennis/Golfer’s Elbow)
Numbness/Tingling in Extremities
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Other Acute and Chronic Injuries
All Tendonitis conditions
Sports Related injuries
Graston Technique is a similar technique in that it is also an innovative, evidence-based form of stainless steel instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions. Scar tissue is a type of fibrous connective tissue that may occur in any area of the body. This tissue generally receives a smaller blood supply than normal tissue and stretches less. Scar tissue also tends to be thicker than the tissue it replaces after an injury. Scar tissue may build up around muscles, tendons, and ligaments as the body heals from an injury. As a result, the movement of the surrounding body tissues may be impaired, or the patient may experience pain when they try to move. Clinically, the buildup of tissue after an injury is called soft tissue fibrosis, but most practitioners refer to these areas as adhesions. Furthermore, the Graston Technique offers many advantages to the patient such as:
- Decreases overall time of treatment
- Fosters faster rehabilitation/recovery
- Reduces need for anti-inflammatory medication
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
Most patients report pain reduction and improved function within the first two treatments. Although it is not unusual to experience some discomfort during initial treatment, it should dramatically lessen within a short period of time. Mild to moderate bruising may take place during the process of breaking down old scar tissue. During the course of treatment, daily consumption of 6-8 glasses of water, along with a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables will also prove beneficial. Patients should always attempt to communicate the sensations they experience during a session to the practitioner. The clinician may adjust the rate of rubbing or the amount of pressure applied to the body area.
If you have any questions on whether FAKTR/GRASTON may be beneficial to you, please consult with one of the Doctors at the Chiropractic Family Center and we will gladly address any concerns you may have.